Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Death in Emily Dickinson's "Because I could not stop for Death"

Emily Dickinson's poem, "Because I could not stop for Death" portrays a very interesting image of death because it's as if death is a person. The narrator of the poem starts with the line, "Because I could not stop for death/ He kindly stopped for me," which suggests that the narrator welcomes death and is not afraid of it. Death even drives a carriage where the narrator gets into and rides around in. The driving of the carriage might signify the passage of time and how they passed the school with children playing at recess and then the setting sun. The narrator notes, "We passed the setting sun/ Or rather- he passed us," which is interesting because the setting sun is seen as the opposite of death where death stopped for the narrator but the setting sun did not. This further implies the passage of time as the sun sets but the narrator continues to travel with death. By the end of the poem the narrator knows that it has been centuries since death stopped but it feels as if it has been shorter than a day and that an eternity of death would further await her arrival.

1 comment:

  1. I love your interpretation Claire. I wanted to write about this one, but it was sort of difficult to interpret it for me.

    ReplyDelete

Wrap Up

This class has taught me a lot about reading, writing, and analyzing different types of literature. I especially enjoyed analyzing film such...